Tuesday, February 8, 2011

can't forget the rice

When I make caldo I have to make rice - it kinda goes hand in hand. Its one of those things that is so simple yet challenging. It has taken me a long time to feel comfortable to serve my rice to family and friends. My mom and mother-in-law have it down to a science. Their rice is always delicious, moist and soooo consistent. They are seasoned cooks - they don't measure anything. I on the other hand need measurements - it is my comfort zone. I make my rice in the same 3 quart Le Crueset for consistency. I measure out all my ingredients and most important I take my time - don't rush it.

Okay here it is -

2 tbs - oil ( I use canola or vegetable - olive oil burns too quickly in this application)
1 cup long grain
Heat oil and pour rice in and brown. It will take about 10 minutes using low heat. Stir rice occasionally and don't let it burn - take your time.


1 - 14oz can of peeled whole tomatoes
1/2 small onion
Blend tomatoes and onion until very smooth. You can do this while rice is browning or before you even start. Measure out 3/4 cup of sauce and store the rest. Once the rice is nice and brown pour the tomato sauce in. Be careful when combining as hot steam will rise. Let simmer for two minutes.
2 cups chicken broth
Salt
Add broth and raise heat to medium. At this point you need to season with salt. Make sure you season well as this is the only chance you have. When you season be sure to taste the liquid - don't be shy just be careful. Bring to a boil, cover and bring heat to low. Once rice has absorbed the liquid (this takes about 15 minutes depending on your cookware) turn heat off and let rest for 5 minutes covered.

That's it! After you have made it a several times, you will begin to get comfortable with the process. Buena Suerte! - Good Luck!

1 comment:

violadimaggio said...

Maria, it sounds delicious!
I am not used to make chicken stock, in Italy is rather unusual, but I have to try!
Yummie...